Friday, June 13, 2014

A Tribute

This is to the two most important people in my life. 


I never would have thought I would be in this position.

I consider myself to be the most lucky person on this planet to have known not one, but two absolutely amazing people. Allow me to introduce my Great-Grandmother, and the best cousin anyone could ever ask for.

Both of these people I had an extremely close connection to. Every Monday night I was at my Great-Grandmother's house, and for a long time, my cousin Ken lived with her. I remember waiting up for him to come home and lift me up to the ceiling (I was too short to reach, where he was just super tall.) Then after we would go and play Crash Bandicoot on his X-Box.

The three of us made an unstoppable team. They were both the most smartest people I knew. Even though my Great Grandmother had to drop out of school early in order to take care of her younger siblings (caused by the unexpected death of her own mother at 16), but despite this, I could always count on her to have a great deal of knowledge in everyday life problems. Every evening at Grandma's consisted of the same; Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, Monster House, Monster Garage, and Orville Redenbacher Pour Over Popcorn. Oh it was good.

Ken made everyone in our family so proud. He graduated at the University of Windsor, and he became an editor. Some of his works included look-a-like, bathroom divas, and the George Stroumboulopoulos show on CBC, which was sadly his last job. Ken loved his work, and ask anyone he worked for (or any viewers of the show for that matter) and they would say that his attitude definitely showed through in his work.

I am who I am today because of these amazing people. They are the ones that encouraged me the most to succeed at everything and to reach for my dreams. My Great Grandma lived a long and fulfilling life, but my cousin Ken had his life cut way to short, but nevertheless he lived each day to the fullest. He was more like a brother to me; my best friend. I don't know how I'll due it without you.

From my journey to yours,
Amber.

Photo from here (other photo is my own).

No comments:

Post a Comment