Friday, December 19, 2014

Assessments and Evaluations

I don't know about you, but I fear getting my marks back. Maybe it's a self-confidence issue, or maybe it's just the fact that I have way too high of standards. 



Assessments and evaluations are a key part of a teacher’s job. Assessments and evaluations exist to provide feedback that is essential – for both parents and students – to track the progress and test to see if the pupil has learned what they were taught. This is also a time where the teacher can provide feedback for the pupil so that they have a better sense of how they have done and what they can do to improve.   

A quote by Albert Einstein comes to mind when I think about giving assessments. "Everybody is a

genius. But if you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid."  It can not be stressed enough, the importance, of switching up how evaluations occur. It is important to understand how your students learn, and coordinate lessons and assessments accordingly. 

Being a person who fears exams, I always like to set myself up so I can do well on term work, so when an exam comes I can try not to freak out so much. I recently had a university class that had no exams, rather, we needed to complete an assignment almost every week, which I was very relieved about. Needless to say, this class was my favourite, and I did well in it.  

Although not having any exams at all would be bad for those who do well under pressure, I do believe that less accumulative exams would help ease the stress that is an increasing issue with adolescents and teens. Even though stress is a needed force that helps us deal with situations and thrive in life, too much stress can cause many health and mental issues. 



Photos from here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment